Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Day 10, Door, Wood Streets, Riverside

“Home is a place you grow up wanting to leave, and grow old wanting to get back to” John Ed Pearce.

“I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself.” Maya Angelou

“Home is a name, a word, it is a strong one; stronger than magician ever spoke, or spirit ever answered to, in the strongest conjuration.” Charles Dickens

The front door to a home is the threshold to your sense of place. It should be a somewhere that you feel a sense of center. Doors have always been so inviting to me. I have always wanted to look inside so many of these homes. I have always been so curious to see if the inside matched the outside. Taking pictures of these openings to another world gives a quiet pleasure when they seem to hint at a world that is the center of someone's world.

I have always loved the Wood Streets near the Downtown area of Riverside. There are some beautiful little houses here. When I was 18, I dated a girl who lived out here. I can't remember her name, Teresa? I do remember how great I thought that her house was. It was a great craftsman style home with a huge front porch. For my job now, I drive through the area about every other week. All around RCC there are a lot of these houses in various stages of repair. More of them are updated or in good repair then not. Some are absolute showcases. There are great neighborhoods all through there, Mnt Rubidoux, Fairmont Park and then there is Victoria Ave as well. There are some great places all through Riverside. I plan to find and shoot the entry ways to these other worlds, in all their different styles.

The hard part today was getting the shots. I was driving through with the windows down and my camera ready. My 18mm - 55mm was not enough, but the 75mm - 300mm was almost too much. I think that I would like to swap out my two lenses for a wider angle EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and a EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM. I also did not want to upset anyone with the act of taking a picture of their home. I think that I will have to also look into some sort of a window mount and hood or tripod for the car. I have included a few of the other doors that I shot today as well below.

IMG_5021.JPG

IMG_5023.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

______________________________________________________________

Camera:Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure:0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture:f/8
Focal Length:80 mm
ISO Speed:800
Exposure Bias:0/3 EV

No comments:

Post a Comment