Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Day 9, St George Temple at Sunrise

Here we have a picture of the St George Utah LDS temple at sunrise. Recently I went on a trip to Zion National Park and we stayed in the condo of some good friends in St George. I have started to research places that I go on Flickr and the internet for picture ideas and got this one from this picture.  I wish that I would have paid more attention to the idea picture as he used forground to hide the trees and shadow, where I had to use the creative crop.  I also skewed and transformed the image in photoshop elements to overcome the lack of a tilt and skew lens.  I don't often notice this correction being done.  In fact I usually see the narrowing toward the top of most buildings as people have come to expect it.   I think that I like that view when I shoot a really tall building from close by and am looking up at it as an artistic idea, but when I am shooting from a distance, I like to correct for the curve of the lens and angle of the shot.

 

The original by Todd Keith was taken in August and I was shooting in October The sun seems to have come from a little different vantage point for me. I decided to blog the shot from the rear since there is a great big shadow that comes up with the sun from the Visitors Center and the Tree just in front of it at this time of year. There were in this shot plenty of shadows and trees in the way, so I went with this cropping. I shot this from the front as well and it did not come out to well because of the shadow. I also shot this before sunrise and that came out nicely as well.   I posted that below.  I would like to return and reshoot it in the dark from a few different angles and vantage points. I also went up to the airport and tried to shoot the illuminated Temple from up there, unfortunately, I did not have my long lens with me and I did not get the shot that I could see in my head.  Maybe next time.  I will be driving through and back on a trip to Salt Lake City this coming April.  

See more great LDS temple shots on Flickr from Todd Keith.  He has done some great stuff.
http://flickr.com/photos/toddkeith/sets/72157601489805533/


St George Temple at Night

St George Temple at Night
__________________________________________________
Camera:Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure:0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture:f/6.3
Focal Length:21 mm
ISO Speed:200
Exposure Bias:0/3 EV

No comments:

Post a Comment