Monday, November 12, 2007

Sunset, Zion's National Park

Here it is, my entry into the blogosphere. I have been learning a lot about photography in the past few years. Well, I have been shooting a lot and I was generally happy with what I shot. Now I am on Flickr and I have become aware of my limitations and strengths. This picture is from Zion National Park in Utah. I went with my best friend just to shoot pictures. We stopped at a camera store in St George because I forgot my polarizer, and there they had all of these used Cokin filters. I have wanted to try them and so I bought 6 of them for $2.50 each along with the holder. I used a Gradual Tobacco T1 Ref. 124 and a Gradual Grey G1 Ref. 120 which I turned to angle a little. I love the results, but I was the little guy here.  

More Photographers then Wildlife at Zion's National Park

The park had more photographers then wildlife.  When I hiked up the lower narrows, I saw maybe half a dozen birds and three fish.  I counted 29 photographers.  As we were leaving the park, we saw this gathering of photographers on the bridge at Canyon Junction.  So, of course we jumped out to investigate.  I think that this picture is actually better in some ways due to the documentary quality.  There are so many great shots of this park, but on the other side of those exposures lies another world.  In defense of the wildlife, we did see about a dozen deer as we were leaving.  In fact I think that they come out only when everyone is leaving.

Analogously, Authors write about words to convey something deeper, so a photographer shooting photographers should have something on another level there.  Unfortunately for me, it was shallow, I had camera envy.  Look at those uber-cool large format rigs.   One was a Wista, up to $2000 for the camera before lenses and the rest.   Another was a Linhof, $6ooo and up. There were a few more large format cameras there along with some other medium formats.  10 sheets of film for those large formats run about $30.  I thought that I was really pretty good with my Rebel XTi.  But that was something to watch.  

________________________________________

Sunset, Zion's National Park

Camera:Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure:0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture:f/5.6
Focal Length:18 mm
ISO Speed:125
Exposure Bias:0/3 EV

More Photographers then Wildlife at Zion's National Park

Camera:Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure:0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture:f/5.6
Focal Length:55 mm
ISO Speed:250
Exposure Bias:0/3 EV

No comments:

Post a Comment