Sunday, April 13, 2008

Day 154, Lone Tree, Rainy Day, Turtle Cove, North Shore, Hawaii

So we are in Hawaii. Cool. But it is raining, not a little bit, but a bunch. We are on the North Shore, and it is after the big wave season, so there are no waves to see. There is rain, constant rain. But we are here and we are loving it.

Every time I come to Hawaii, for the first few days, I just soak up the environment. The smell of the plumeria, and sea breeze. The colors of the clear blue water and green everywhere. The soft cool feel of the occasional refreshing rains or light breezes that drift by. Some times there is more; lightning, thunder, and rain that comes down in sheets. Winds that whip the sand, or a humid heat that gets your attention. But then a little while later, it is changed again.

I am sure that the rain will pass. It is not cold or unpleasant. It just seems to wash away the dust and give clarity. Usually I am looking for that grand vista when I come here. But I think that I will run this trip on new confines. I am going to try to do a long exposure with some neutral density filters that I brought along. I will stick to mostly using the 50 mm lens and the discipline that it will make me use. I am going to try to avoid the touristy shots as well as the touristy destinations, and just see what I can find through the lens.  

I am looking for mood, or color, or detail.  I did bring a wide lens, 16 mm to 33 mm.  I have a 70 mm - 300 mm as well.  But there will probably be no shots of Waikiki, or Diamond Head.  I will be looking for wild life, but you won't see people in those shots.  I will try something with rocks, lava or coral since there is so much here.  And some green, to keep me happy when my desert comes back in So Cal. Later we will be joining some colleagues from my company since we are here with them on an award trip.  So that may change what I get chances to shoot.  Golf? Mountain Bikes?  Sun and Rain?  We will see.

It's Hawaii, if you don't like the weather, give is some time, it will change.


Thanks for looking.
EXIF Data,

Camera:Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure:0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture:f/5
Focal Length:18 mm
ISO Speed:100
Exposure Bias:0 EV

No comments:

Post a Comment