Friday, May 9, 2008

Day 180, Washington Monument

So this is as experimental that I get. This is the Washington Monument, in a format that is a little different for me.   I was really going for the grainy polarized effect in the black and white. I shot these later, after the sun had gone down but before real night fall. The sky was overcast and when I got to the editing I tried to keep some contrast.  I used a wide (16 mm) setting on the lens with the aperture set to f/11 so that it would retain some detail as the view diminished.

When I did the editing I used Aperture 2.0 and the monochrome mixer to play with the effects. I also played with the white balance and the some of the colors to get the right effect.  I think the dark mood that I was going for came out. There is a gritty feel that I wanted. It is not because I have a dark feeling there, rather to convey a sense of permanence that is probably less real then anyone wants to admit.  It seems that all of our history has revolved around the imminent doom of our country.  The Revolution, the War of 1812, The Civil War, World War I, World War II, The Great Depression (both of them), The Civil Rights Movement, Communism and all the other 'isms that are out there.  All about to wash out from under us the foundations of liberty.  Yet, still, we are free and facing the next threat.

For all of the history of Washington DC, it is not that old of a city. It feels different then all of Southern California, that is not hard to do. We are the home of strip malls and off-ramps on the freeway. My least favorite sign is the one that says _(insert city name)_ City, next _(#)_ Exits. It kills me that our entire definition of cities in SoCal is the number of exits that get off the freeway. Invariably, there will be a Walmart by one of them, and then gas stations and fast food. 

DC has more then that, it is filled with history, both current emerging and the normal kind. But it is a city that has its entire history defined by its role as the capitol city of the United States. That is unique to a capitol like Washington DC. Paris, London, Rome, Istanbul and Bombay all have histories that predate their current incarnations. One is not necessarily better then other, but I have of recent started to not enjoy the new culture of SoCal. I long for an attachment to a place that is more then the newest mall or stucco. One thing I am tired of is stucco. I want brick and stone. Not the trim that is fake, but real stone, cut to build the building.

Well, that is not going to change, but at least I can dream.  I really am tired of stucco though.

Washington Monument

Washington Monument

Thanks for looking.
EXIF Data,

Camera:Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure:0.02 sec (1/50)
Aperture:f/11
Focal Length:16 mm
ISO Speed:200
Exposure Bias:0 EV

No comments:

Post a Comment