Saturday, May 10, 2008

Day 181, World War II Memorial

When I finished at the Washington Monument, I wanted to try to get a shot that I liked from the World War II Memorial. Last time I was here, I got one shot that I liked, but it was really just an afterthought that the WWII Monument was there.  Really only the top of the fountain even comes into play in the shot.  The shot is really about the Capitol looking past the Washington Monument.  It really didn't do any justice the scale and beauty of the WWII monument.  Here it is.

Capitol at Night looking past the Washington Monument and WWII Fountain

So this time I wanted to go for something that had people interacting with the monument.  I wanted to show the scale by showing people.  I really like how these came out.  One of my favorite shots ever seems to get its strength with that element.  It was a shot in the Lincoln Memorial and I went for that people element to show this monument.  Here is that older shot that I took in the Lincoln Memorial.  I loved how that one came out.  

Reading the Gettysburg Address, Lincoln Monument at Night

I wanted to try to recreate that on this trip in the better resolution of my current camera, but I ran out of time and had to go.  

I am pleased with how these came out.  For some reason, I seem to end up in Black and White with the monuments.  It seems to bring the image together in a more seamless manner.  Color sometimes is too distracting.  I just want to show the whole, the play of the light off the rest. Color seems to make you notice it more then effect of the light on the place.  That was problematic in this shot since the water is lit up and the color element seems to make it the only element in the image.  So, Black and White it is.

Here are the other shots that I took here.  

World War II Memorial

World War II Memorial and National Mall


Thanks for looking.
EXIF Data,

Camera:Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure:0.25 sec (1/4)
Aperture:f/2.8
Focal Length:26 mm
ISO Speed:200
Exposure Bias:0 EV

No comments:

Post a Comment