Sunday, December 16, 2007

Day 35, Prayer at Home


Day 35, Prayer at Home, originally uploaded by solostandfound.

These are some of the great folks in our church. I was asked to shoot a picture that showed a family in our church for a montage that is being put together for the calender/directory. I think a lot of this great mom and her daughter. They have been though a lot and the mom has been a great example throughout it all of perseverance and determination. She has made a great home for her kids and they are all very successful.

When I asked them if they would mind if I came by their home to take a picture of them praying together for the calender, they were so kind and at ease. I get nervous about these things, which is why I probably prefer to be behind the lens and not in front of it. They were so patient while I took about 20 pictures. I think that they came out well. I would change some things given more time. We were under a time crush, and I was so grateful that they were willing to be in the picture that I just wanted to shoot them how they would hold their family prayer.

If I were to work this out without a time crunch, I would have used more lighting and not just the camera flash with a diffuser on it. I would have limited the decorations so that the background would be more simple and the focus would be entirely on the family prayer. I would eliminate the black sweater since it makes the contrast hard. I like the pose, I think it works in showing them together. I would have used a reflector on the ground to light their faces better as well.

That is why I do the blog, to learn to do better. I am definitely learning a lot, and the images are getting better. People are one of the hardest subjects for me, so every portrait seems to be a big learning chance. I will be shooting some portraits of our friends families this christmas, so there will be more posted as they get done.

As always, thanks for looking and the out takes and EXIF data are below.

Prayer at Home

Prayer at Home

________________________________________

Camera:Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure:6 sec (6)
Aperture:f/10
Focal Length:18 mm
ISO Speed:200
Exposure Bias:0/3 EV

No comments:

Post a Comment