Thursday, December 27, 2007

Day 46, Two New Eagle Scouts


Two New Eagle Scouts, originally uploaded by solostandfound.

If you didn't know it, I am an Eagle Scout. In fact, the day I got it is one of my cherished memories. Not for the award itself, but because I got mine the at the same time as my best friend, Mike. When boys you worked with get theirs, it seems to feel even better.

I have always hated some of the pictures that get taken at these events. they always seem to miss the point. Hopefully this will get closer to that ideal. These young men did not and are not doing this alone. Their parents and a bunch of other leaders are all here to see this, to experience this with them. They earned their own award, but a lot of people put in a lot of effort to help them.

Say what you will about Boy Scouts, it does give adults a chance to impact a young mans life for the better. They invest a lot in the eventual outcome of a young man that will be a good part of our world. Since I have three daughters, trust me when I tell you that I have a very vested interest in the young men of the world coming out ok. This is a shot of the Eagle Pledge. All Eagle Scouts in the room are invited to stand and renew their pledge as well. I tried to get a shot that showed that even if these two young men will be going off into the world seemingly alone, they never will be. Too many people have invested too much time for them to ever be alone.

I have always insisted that the young men that I worked with learn one thing, we take care of our own. We do.  The real magic is in how we define 'our own.' Since we are Christians, I tend to point to the Saviors view of who is our neighbor, our brother, our own.

Thanks for looking,

Camera:Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure:0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture:f/3.5
Focal Length:18 mm
ISO Speed:400
Exposure Bias:0/3 EV

No comments:

Post a Comment